Why 99% of Countertop Websites Fail to Generate Customers
Home improvement contractors routinely spend thousands to create attractive websites to promote their countertop services. And more than often they are disappointed by the amount of new customers those sites attract. Here’s why.
If the primary goal of your website is to generate new countertop jobs, you have to think about your site from the prospect’s point of view.
Generally, visitors to your business website have either:
1. Already heard of your business and want to learn more about you, or
2. Found out about your business via online promotion or a search engine
In the first scenario, your website simply needs to validate what the prospect was hoping to see about your business. The prospect is already predisposed to contact you.
In the second scenario, the prospect may be either a “hunter” or an information “gatherer”.
Information gatherers are simply doing background research about a topic. They have not yet determined if they even have a need for your service. They are still researching countertop and kitchen remodeling options and ideas.
Hunters, on the other hand, have done their research, determined they are ready to get new countertops, and are “hunting”, i.e. comparison shopping, for which countertop fabricator(s) to contact.
View Your Website Like an Internet Shopper Would
These prospects use the internet to shop for home improvement services much the same as they shop online for shoes. The internet is a comparison shopper’s ultimate playground.
In comparing different countertop fabricator websites, shoppers are looking for the business that:
• Best provides exactly the services they need
• Appears the most competent at doing it
• Appears to be the easiest to work with
• Has a centrally-located showroom and/or provides in-home estimates
• Provides the best value for their money
At this stage, shoppers are not seeking:
• Tons of background information on the subject – this might be attractive to information gathers, but those visitors are not yet shopping for a specific fabricator to contact.
• A wide breadth of services – Shoppers don’t care that you also do replacement windows if they need a new countertop. In fact, if you also do replacement windows, your business may be considered to be too general and therefore not as competent as a countertop specialist.
• Pictures of your family, nice photos of the city you service, or links to your friends’ or other local businesses. These may imply that your business is lacking in professionalism, and may be more of a hobby than a qualified, full-time, professional business.
Yet these are the elements that dominate many small countertop fabricators’ websites. All that matters to internet comparison shoppers is how well your business compares to the other firms found online. If your website wins in that comparison, you’ll get the inquiry – and the opportunity to bid for a new job.
You might say “they’ll choose to buy their shoes from you”.
LeadQ develops campaigns that position home improvement contractors as the preferred choice for internet searchers to contact in their local competitive environment. We charge only for the qualified new inquiries that our campaign generates to the business.